In Ice And Snow, Take It Slow
WSDOT crews are working to keep traffic moving across Washington, preparing for snow and possible freezing rain overnight Monday into Tuesday. Forecasts call for a blast of moisture into Western Washington mixing with the temperatures hovering near freezing overnight and into Tuesday.
Drivers need to be prepared for ice across the state, especially those travelling on shaded roadways, bridges and overpasses. See more on the WSDOT blog.
Protect yourself and your passengers. Allow extra time to reach your destination during inclement weather.
• Drive for conditions – slower speeds, slower acceleration.
• Use your headlights.
• Four-wheel and all-wheel vehicles do not stop or steer better on ice.
• Leave extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
• Remember, the larger the vehicle, the longer the stopping distance.
• Slow down when approaching intersections, offramps, bridges, or shady spots.
• If you find yourself behind a WSDOT truck, stay behind it until it is safe to pass. Remember that truck provides the driver a limited field of vision.
Know before you go:
• Check traffic, road temperatures and highway cameras across the state.
• Find out what’s happening in the Puget Sound region.
• Call 511. WSDOT’s driver information phone line provides real-time traffic, incident and closure information. Out-of-state callers can dial 1-800-695-ROAD (7623). TTY users can call 1-800-833-6388.
• Sign up for email updates and social media tools such as Facebook.
• Follow traveler information on Twitter @wsdot, @wsdot_traffic, @wsdot_passes, @wsdot_tacoma, @SnoqualmiePass.
• WSDOT blog: http://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/in-ice-and-snow-take-it-slow.html
• Washington State Traveler Information: http://www.wsdot.com/traffic.
• Washington Road Temperatures: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Roadtemps/default.aspx
• Washington State Traffic Cameras: http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/Cameras/default.aspx
• What’s Happening Now in the Puget Sound Area: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/today.htm
• WSDOT’s social media tools: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/inform
December 9, 2013/WSDOT news