Fla. Boy Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba

b_250_0_16777215_00_images_obgrabber_2013-08_a7cda70fc7.jpgChristopher Furlong/Getty Images (MIAMI) --A 12-year-old boy with a brain eating amoeba has died. Zachary Reyna died Saturday afternoon, CNN reports. His organs will be donated. Reyna allegedly contracted the deadly parasite from kneeboarding in a water filled ditch in Florida on Aug. 3.

The seventh grader then underwent brain surgery at the Miami Children's Hospital. The rare amoeba is called Naegleria fowleri, found in hot springs and warm freshwater, mostly in the Southeast of the US.

The parasite enters the body through the nose, traveling to the brain, according to CNN. Symptoms can appear within a week of infection. They include headache, fever, and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio