(ST. BERNARD PARISH, La.) -- Water supply tests in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana confirmed the presense of naegleria fowleri, a rare brain-eating amoeba. The outbreak is connected to the death of a 4-year-old boy. State officials said the water is still safe to drink, CNN reported Friday.
Naegleria fowleri is found in warm fresh water and enters the body through the nose before traveling to the brain.
According to the Center for Disease control, you can lower the risk of infection by avoiding swimming in fresh water when the water temperature is high, holding your nose shut while swimming, and avoiding stirring up sediment in shallow, warm freshwater areas.
The first symptoms of a possible infection include headache, fever, nausea, and a stiff neck, the CDC reports.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio