Got a Wood Stove in Thurston County?

Get a Heat Pump, or clean-burning natural gas appliance! The Olympic Region Clean Air Agency (ORCAA) has received a 1-year extension of funding to help residents of Thurston County cities and UGAs replace their old wood stoves and fireplace inserts with new, clean, efficient heat pumps and natural gas heating appliances.

ORCAA, utilizing a grant from the Washington Department of Ecology, offers an array of financial incentives to help residents within Thurston County cities and urban growth areas upgrade their heating systems. For residents seeking to replace wood heat systems with gas or electric heat systems, ORCAA offers $750 toward purchase for residents who wish to change to gas fireplaces and $1,000 toward purchase for all other change-outs.

NOTE: Funding is limited, and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis for qualified participants. To participate, contact ORCAA or visit any Thurston County Heat-and-Cooling or Hearth Products retailer.

By removing uncertified and pre-1995 wood stoves and inserts, residential coal burning devices and free standing fireplaces from homes and replacing them with heat pumps (ductless or ducted), gas furnaces or gas fireplaces, ORCAA will improve both air quality and energy efficiency in the region. Based on the state’s requirements, this program is available only to residents who wish to replace one of the following:

  • pre-1995 certified wood stoves 
  • pre-1995 certified fireplace inserts
  • uncertified wood stoves
  • uncertified fireplace inserts
  • free-standing fireplaces

With the removal of just 60 solid-fuel home heating devices from the community, residents will reduce emissions by 10 tons of PM2.5 per year. Puget Sound Energy (PSE) also offers the following rebates:

  • $1,200 for Ductless Heat Pumps
  • up to $800 for air-source heat pumps
  • up to $2,500 for conversion to natural gas
  • $200 rebate for installation of a qualifying high-efficiency natural gas fireplace

For additional information, visit, or call (360) 539-7610.