Thurston County Continues Flood Mitigation Work
Annual status report issued for National Flood Insurance Community Rating System. Thurston County has issued its annual report on the progress toward implementing the 32 Mitigation Initiatives in the county’s 2012 Flood Hazard Mitigation Plan.
The progress report is required as part of the Thurston County’s recertification under the National Flood Insurance Community Rating System. Because the county has completed several flood mitigation and preparedness actions and received a Community Rating System score of four, residents of unincorporated Thurston County can get as much as a 30 percent discount for flood insurance. That’s up from 25 percent for flood insurance rate discounts in 2012.
Flood Mitigation Progress Summary:
- 24 of the 32 Mitigation Initiatives are ongoing. Examples include public outreach activities, capital improvement project identification, and flood hazard modeling.
- Five of the Mitigation Initiatives are complete.
- Three Mitigation Initiatives will be implemented when resources become available.
Thurston County experts remind homeowners and renters that national flood insurance is the only dependable form of financial protection against flood damage. Standard homeowner's insurance doesn’t cover damage from flooding, and federal disaster assistance is available only for federally declared disasters. Thurston County residents are urged to purchase flood insurance now because there is a 30-day waiting period after the first payment is made before the policy is effective.
Flood Preparedness Tips and Resources:
- Sign up for Thurston County Emergency Management’s Telephone Alert System for river flooding. You can also follow Thurston County Emergency Management (TCEM) on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download a copy of the 2012 Thurston County Flood Bulletin that includes kit checklists, evacuation tips, contact numbers for government agencies and utilities, and more ( www.co.thurston.wa.us/em/Flood/2012FloodBulletin.pdf ).
- Track river levels for rivers throughout Thurston County at www.co.thurston.wa.us/em/Rivers/RiversLg.htm.
Thurston County News Release