Tumwater City Council Agenda Items for 9/24 Meeting

Recreational Marijuana Ordinance No. O2013-013
This is a briefing at this time for potential council consideration October 1st.
History and Facts Brief:
In the last general election, the voters of Washington passed I -502, legalizing recreational marijuana use and possession under certain prescribed amounts and allowed for the production, processing and retailing of marijuana. The Liquor Control Board (LCB) has been drafting rules to implement the initiative and expects to complete those rules and open a 30 day window for application beginning on November 18, 2013. The City Council has given general direction to prepare amendments to the zoning code to allow for the production, processing and retailing of marijuana. If Council members wish to review the initiative text and the draft rule text, they can be found at http://www.liq.wa.gov/publications/Marijuana/I-502/i502.pdf and https://lcb.app.box.com/proposed-rules respectfully. Both I-502 and the draft rules require a 1000 foot distance from schools, playgrounds, recreation centers, child care centers, public parks, public transit centers, libraries, and game arcades. This severely limits the location in which these uses can locate in Tumwater. In addition, no more than one retail outlet will be permitted in Tumwater according to the proposed Liquor Control Board rules.


Olympia Road Closures to Include 4th Avenue

Beginning Thursday, September 26, Union Pacific Railroad will be doing work at three locations for important rail repairs.This work will require the closure of the following roads:

  • Thursday, September 26 – Intersection of Adams Street and Olympia Avenue
  • Friday, September 27 – Intersection of 4th Avenue and Jefferson Street
  • Saturday, September 28 – Jefferson Street between 5th and State Avenues

All closures will begin at 7 am and are expected to be complete no later than 1 pm. Detours will be in place, however motorists should expect delays and are encouraged to use alternate routes.

Housing Authority Board of Commissioners Opening

Mason County is seeking applicants to fill one position on the Housing Authority of Mason County Board of Commissioners that will become open in November.

Mason County Housing Authority is the owner/manager of Pine Garden Apartments, Goldsborough Cove Apartments, Fairmont Cove Apartments, and the Kneeland Park Apartments. The Housing Authority Board meets monthly on the fourth Thursday at 9:00 a.m. in the Mason County Commission Chambers at 411 North 5th Street, Shelton, WA. The time commitment is approximately 2 – 3 hours per month. Commission members serve five-year terms. The open position will expire in November 2018.

If interested, please contact the Mason County Commissioners office at 427-9670, 275-4467 or 482-5269, ext 419 for an advisory board form or it can be downloaded from our website – www.co.mason.wa.us. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

September 20, 2013/Board Of Mason County Commissioners

Board of Equalization Seeking Members

The Board of Mason County Commissioners is seeking applications from community members who are interested in serving on the Mason County Board of Equalization as an alternate member. Applicants must reside in Mason County.

The Board of Equalization is a three-member board appointed by the Mason County Commissioners. One alternate member may also be selected. The Board’s responsibility is to ensure that all property evaluations are at 100% of market value, so equitable tax assessment can be established.

Taxpayers may appeal their assessments, including assessments of real and personal property, forest land, timber, and open space. The Board also considers denial of senior citizen property tax exemptions. Taxpayers can file a petition with the Board of Equalization and a hearing will be scheduled to present their appeal of their assessment.

Depending on the number of appeals heard each year, the Board may meet up to two days a week, throughout the year. Board members are paid a per diem, currently $100 per day, when in session.

As required by RCW 84.48.042, the successful applicant must attend training, provided by the Washington State Department of Revenue, within one year of appointment or reappointment.

Interested citizens may obtain an application at the Mason County Commissioners’ Office, 411 North 5th Street, Shelton, or by calling Shelton 360-427-9670, ext. 419; Belfair 360-275-4467, ext. 419; Elma 360-482-5269, ext. 419 or visit the Mason County website at www.co.mason.wa.us. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.

September 20, 2013/Board Of Mason County Commissioners