Lacey Plans For Future Growth

The public is invited to help 'Envision Lacey' during a series of upcoming community events as the city updates its Comprehensive Land Use Plan. The next opportunity will be at Military Family Appreciation Day on Saturday, September 7 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Lacey Cabela's.

The current population of Lacey and its surrounding Urban Growth Area (UGA) is approximately 76,000, and is expected to grow by an additional 30,000 people over the next 20 years. The city is currently updating its land use plan, which will shape how the future growth will be accommodated.

Community participation is necessary to understand how neighborhoods are perceived, and how residents wish to shape them. The public will have an opportunity to learn about the project, ask questions, and give feedback at events including:

  • Military Family Appreciation Day – Saturday, September 7, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Cabela’s parking lot
  • The Lacey Community Market – Saturday, September 14, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Huntamer Park
  • Children’s Day – Saturday, October 5, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Huntamer Park
  • Public Open House – Tuesday, October 15, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Lacey City Hall, 420 College Street SE

Additional events will be held throughout the year-long community feedback process, including numerous neighborhood-specific meetings. To learn more, visit, or contact David R. Burns, AICP, Principal Planner at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or Ryan Andrews, Associate Planner, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or phone us at (360) 491-5642.

September 4, 2013/ City Of Lacey Press Release

Thurston County Government Offices

Closed Sept. 2 for Labor Day - Regular curbside garbage and recycling collection on Monday

OLYMPIA – Thurston County government will be closed on Monday, September 2 in observance of Labor Day. All offices will re-open for regular business on Tuesday, September 3.

Regular curbside garbage and recycling collection will still be done in unincorporated Thurston County on Monday, September 2. Crews may arrive earlier than usual, so customers are encouraged to have their garbage and recycling ready by 7 a.m. 

Fire and Police Emergency Services: Call 9-1-1 for emergency police, fire and medic services. Residents are urged to use 9-1-1 for life-threatening emergencies only. 

  • Thurston County Sheriff Non-emergency Services: Residents of unincorporated Thurston County are urged to call the Sherriff’s Department non-emergency number at (360) 704-2740 for non-emergency issues like noise complaints. 9-1-1 should be used for life-threatening emergencies only.
  • County Parks Open: Burfoot Park, Frye Cove Park, Kenneydell Park and the Off-Leash Dog Park at the WARC will be open during regular park hours.
  • Intercity Transit: IT will operate Sunday-level service on Monday, September 2. For more information please visit or call (360) 786-1881.



Rock blasting: Snoqualmie Pass


One hour closures Tuesday and Thursday, extended closure Wednesday

HYAK – After enjoying an extended holiday weekend, drivers need to be aware rock blasting next week will close Interstate 90 over Snoqualmie Pass for an hour Tuesday and Thursday nights and for two or more hours on Wednesday night.

The Washington State Department of Transportation and contractor crews will close the pass from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 3 and Thursday, Sept. 5 for an hour and on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 6:30 p.m. for two or more hours. During rock blasting closures traffic will be stopped eastbound at Gold Creek and westbound at the Stampede Pass interchange.

Drivers will also experience delays due to multiple construction zones from North Bend to Ellensburg Tuesday, Sept. 3 through Friday, Sept. 6 during the day and at night.  


Olympia City Services On Labor Day

City Services

All City offices including City Hall, Olympia Municipal Court, Olympia Probation Services, and The Olympia Center will be closed on Monday, September 2, 2013, in observance of Labor Day.

City Services Provided