Medical Examiner: Couple Died After Inhaling Generator Fumes
EVERSON, Wash. (AP) - The Whatcom County medical examiner says two people died in their home near Everson after inhaling gas fumes from a generator during last weekend's power outage.
The Bellingham Herald says (http://is.gd/m2u3Kf) 82-year-old Anthony Vermeulen and 71-year-old Marilyn Vermeulen were found dead Wednesday evening.
Medical Examiner Gary Goldfogel says autopsies Thursday revealed the couple inhaled gas fumes, most likely carbon monoxide, from a portable generator. The time of death is unclear.
The Whatcom County Sheriff's Office says the family had not heard from them since Sunday or Monday. A relative who checked on the house Wednesday found their bodies. The generator was running outside a cellar door, which was opened slightly.
A windstorm knocked out power to thousands in Western Washington on Saturday. It wasn't immediately clear when the couple's power went out or when it was restored.
September 4, 2015
Information from: The Bellingham Herald, http://www.bellinghamherald.com
Family Of Unarmed Man Shot By Police In Washington Sues
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The wife and children of a Mexican man shot to death by police in Pasco, Washington, after he threw rocks have filed a federal lawsuit against the city and the three officers involved.
Antonio Zambrano-Montes was unarmed when he was shot to death on a busy street in downtown Pasco on Feb. 10. Videos of the shooting went viral, and the incident sparked weeks of protests in the Eastern Washington city.
Attorney George Trejo Jr., of Yakima, filed the lawsuit Thursday on behalf of Teresa DeJesus Meraz and her two young daughters.
The lawsuit names the city, the Pasco Police Department, the police chief and the three officers involved, among others. It seeks in excess of $25 million in damages.
Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney Shawn Sant did not immediately respond to the lawsuit.
NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press - September 4, 2015